The SOTU Project
The Slightly Less Placeholder site - The sands of time are sinking, the dawn of SotU breaks
In 2008 the UKScene AllStars released a music disc by the name of Sound of the Untergrund. It featured Hively and AHX tracks from some of the UKScene's best and brightest.
So there I was, taking my daughter to the Science Museum, sitting on the tube train, looking at the station map and being kicked in the shins by a toddler. Inspiration struck out of nowhere! I could expand the original SOTU into a series, based around the various tube lines.
And so was born the SOTU project, a collection of music discs based around the London Underground. Each tube line will have its own release or releases and the stations are the prompts for the tracks. Musicians participate by finding a tube station that either inspires them or that they have a connection with. Each disc will have its own musical style, be it streamed, tracked, chip, etc.
The Current Production
The Victoria Line - Release schedule: Revision 2017
The SOTU AllStars
These people have earned the title of SOTU AllStar by participating in a released product.
- Vampire - Production, programming and graphics, also the author of this site
- Keito - Graphics and music
- Syphus - Music
- Joey and Splif - Music
- Maximum 2 tracks per artist per music disc, unless otherwise asked.
- Tracks should be 4 to 5 minutes and must be in the style of the music disc.
- Your group affiliations will be checked at the door! Your group gets a greet, you get to be in SotU AllStars :D
- You can submit already existing tracks as long as it's not already released. It will be renamed to match the station it's assigned to.
- If you want to participate, please pick a station and let me know before starting so I can reserve it for you.
This is a list of the current London Underground lines:
- Hammersmith & City
- Victoria - In Production
- Waterloo & City
- Docklands Light Railway
- Emirates Air Line
Q. I'm not from the UK, can I write a track?
A. Track requests are considered on a case by case basis no matter where you are from. A yes is more likely if you hang about on #ukscene, have been a UK resident at one point or if you have a link to the station. e.g. "I fell down the escalator at Kings Cross" would be an instant yes.
Q. The spec says streamed, but I use a tracker, can I submit?
A. Yes. The track WILL be converted to a stream, but the mod will be included in the release. The streamed spec is used to allow musicians that use things like Cuebase to participate.